No Scary Stuff
We know that sometimes eye exams can be scary. Not knowing what to expect and worries about eye drops can be stressful for kids and parents. Another area that can be difficult (not just for kids but adults too!) is the "air puff test." Don't worry, we don't even own that machine! We use other, friendlier methods for that.
At Bright Family Eye Care, we think that eye exams don't have to be scary. Here's why:
- We believe in bonding with each child from the beginning of the exam. Dr. Hornberger is a mom and loves kids. This builds trust and reduces worry about the exam process.
- Sometimes eye drops are necessary but we always give kids options for the eye drops. This helps them feel like they have some control and reduces their fears.
- If kids are especially anxious we encourage you to bring a special stuffed animal or blanket.
- We speak in calm, soothing voices and the drops are over before they know it. Then they can go out to the waiting area to play, read or look at glasses.
Some more good info to know:
- Depending on exam findings we may recommend your child be dilated at their comprehensive exam.
- Dilation drops make light seem brighter and make up-close vision blurry. Depending on the type of drop we use, this can last from a few hours or longer. We will let you know what to expect.
- We believe in being honest with our patients of all ages. We therefore recommend that doctors, staff, and parents avoid telling children that “the drops don’t hurt,” because if the child then feels discomfort during the process, it can damage trust. Instead, we may say something like “You might feel a tingle, but it will go away quickly.”
- It might not be a good idea to go to the beach after dilation, but children can leave the office and resume their normal day and go to school. They should wear their normal sunglasses. If they did not bring sunglasses, we will provide a temporary pair.
- Please let us know if your child has had a bad experience with drops in the past, either while receiving them or due to some type of reaction after the fact.
We hope that our “No Drama Drops” method makes life easier on you and your child.